Friday, October 9, 2009

Mom and Son

On a recent trip along the west Coast I was on a beach. Maybe Morro Bay. I was standing on a knoll looking over the surf. An adolescent boy and mother were walking up the beach toward their car. The boy in a wetsuit, surfboard under his arm and mother in normal cloths. There was a conversation of some disagreement between them. The mother was becoming somewhat frustrated.

As they came abreast of me I could not but help pick up their conversation.

“Mom, I can’t leave my wetsuit outside in the garage. I’ll hang it in my room.”

“No way! No way are you bringing that thing into the house. Don’t they make something to clean wetsuits?”

“They sold me that stuff in the blue bottle but it doesn’t seem to work and I think it burns my hands. Mom, do you know how cold this is to put on when it‘s wet? Do you want me to catch pneumonia?”

“You are not bringing that wetsuit in the house. It stinks to hell!”

“Mom!!!”

“No way!!!”

They were by the car and the boy was putting his surf board in the back of their mini van. As the boy was getting out of his wet suit and washing off, I decided to intervene. I walked over to my car and grabbed a quart of Pau Pilau . I took it with me over to their car and approached the mother now sitting in the car.

‘Here. Gift from Santa Claus. I know Christmas is still four months away but I think you need this now.’

“Biological Wetsuit Cleaner! Does this work? Will it get that wetsuit clean?”

‘Absolutely! Totally! When it dries you can put it on your coffee table, have your morning cup of coffee before you come to the beach and it will not run you out of the house. Promise.’

“No way!”

I pointed at the website on the front panel and said, “Here, you can contact me here on this website. The e-mail is mine. I’d be glad to hear from you.”

“If this works you got a deal. If this doesn’t work, you will have to deal with me. How much is this?”

“This is free! Like I said, Gift from Santa!”

“Thank you! I’ll let you know.”

…Yesterday:

‘Dear Pau Pilau,
Mom and son here in San Luis Obispo. We met one of your salesman at Morro Bay. Do you remember? You gave us a quart of your Pau Pilau. You made a mother and son very happy. You must be some kind of angel. I hope you make a million with this. It is great! Thanks a million!
Where can we buy it when we finish this quart? We live in San Luis Obispo, or should we just order it on line?
Thanks again.'

No comments:

Post a Comment